Archive for October, 2009
Your customer may want Notes in one generic form and Variable in another customer-centric form for verification. With DISCUS you can have both options.
Click the Filter icon in the BoC menu items on the left. Create a Filter and provide a description. In the CN field, enter the characteristic numbers for the Notes, such as 1-12, 14 (Characteristics 1-12 and 14 are notes). Export to Excel.
Create a second filter for the variable data and provide a description. In the CN field, enter the characteristic numbers for the variable, such as 13, 15-25. Export to your customer’s FAI Form that validates the variable data when you enter the results.
When you are entering your Designed Tooling, easily add the gage number to the entry.
- Click Results, Field Set up and Designed Tooling.
- Click Add in the Values section and enter the Tool number and Gage, such as Micrometer-OT5674.
- Click OK and click OK.
- The tool and gage number now display in the Designed Tooling drop-down list for easy selection.
The right panel can be used for any supplemental document. As long as any document is a Tiff or PDF you can add them in this panel. Here are some examples document types:
- Work Instructions
- PO Requirements
- Emails from your customer
- Change Requests
To add supplemental documents in the Spec Panel:
- Save the document as a Tiff or PDF.
- Add them to your TDP in the right spec panel: Drawing | Add Specification.
- Select the reference balloon in the BoC, such as Characteristic 4 that references a change request.
- Select the Image Requirement icon (green “lasso”) and drop and drag the rectangle around the data you want to capture. The item is now 4.1
DISCUS offers some favorite Hot Keys:
- Ctrl+N — Create new TDP
- Ctrl+O — Open existing TDP
- Ctrl+S — Save current TDP
- Ctrl+T — Open TDP Documents window
- Delete — Delete selected item(s)
- Ctrl+A — Select all
- F2 — Maximize Drawing Panel
- F3 — Maximize Specification Panel
- F4 — Maximize BoC Panel
- F5 — Reset viewing panels and the BoC
- Ctrl+B — Add balloons
- Ctrl+L — Add leader lines
- Ctrl+I — Create requirement image
- Ctrl+F — Display Find Characteristic dialog box
- F1 — Launch DISCUS help
Now, in 3.5, you can copy a balloon and place it on the same page, different page or on an additional drawing in the TDP, left panel.
- Create a Structured Requirement and in the drawing panel, right-click the balloon.
- Select Copy Balloon.
- Click onto the appropriate page or drawing to paste the balloon.
- You can choose to copy the identical balloon number or choose to add unique balloon numbers.
If you choose unique balloon numbers the BoC populates with the identical data.
If you choose identical balloons, the icon in the BoC shows the duplicate and you can navigate to each balloon by clicking the Arrows at the bottom of the BoC menu items.
With DISCUS Results, you can create equipment lists, such as designed tooling, FAI and Production equipment lists, export the list to your network and have colleagues import this list so everyone is on the same page!
- Create the lists in Results, by clicking Field Setup.
- Select the category of Equipment, for example, Designed Tool and add the items to be displayed in the Results drop-down list.
- When complete, click Results and Export Results Settings. Save this zipped file to your network.
- To import, click Results and select Import Results Settings. Browse for the saved file.
- Once located, click OK to import the settings.
You can produce an inspection sheet completely with just the characteristic images from the original drawing.
- Click the Balloon icon and drop the balloon on any characteristic. Keeping the left-mouse button depressed, drag a rectangle around the data to be captured.
- Balloon the entire drawing in this way.
- When complete, export the BoC to excel. If the images are too small, click Drawing and select Scale Images to increase the image size.